December 5, 2021 - Advent Week 2

 


Praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord from the Heavens;

  praise him in the heights!

Praise him, all his angels;

  praise him, all his host!

 

Praise him sun and moon;

  praise him, all you shining stars!

Praise him, you highest heavens,

  and you waters above the heavens!  Psalm 148:1-4

 

Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to

            your name give glory  Psalm 115:1

 

 

Advent II: Preparation

 

How do we prepare for the coming of the Lord?

 

Foreground the difficulty, counsels a friend of mine. I had a wrinkle in my personal life last week that sent my thoughts to an empty place. What if the forgiveness we crave, in earthly matters, is not available?

 

The Lord’s Prayer sometimes comes to me in moments like this. This time words of praise came. I said them—not as someone who delights in their meaning, but as a toddler grasping to steady herself .  As I began to praise God, the words seemed hollow, tinny, at first, like a ladder, but, like a ladder! Slowly, I began to feel myself climbing up and out of the abyss.

 

A church I used to attend had a problem with theft. After remarking that I couldn’t believe someone would steal from a church, the rector’s response surprised me: he gently shrugged and said, Everyone’s a sinner. This person’s sin is stealing. It was soon after this that the minister taught me the Jesus prayer:

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

 

“Sinner” is a label that seems uncomfortably stark. I have grown to see its role in the prayer in a different light, though: it foregrounds the difficulty. The prayer both separates us from and connects us to God. It lays plain that Jesus is our advocate. We appeal to the Creator’s grace, we appeal to Jesus, to hear us. It is a form of praise.

 

The psalmists call on us to “Praise the Lord!” This very act has the power to place us where we can move forward, as if for the first time.

 

God, in His mercy, gives us Advent to prepare for the coming of the Lord.

 

 

Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,

  for he has looked favourably on his people and redeemed them.

He has raised up a mighty saviour for us

  in the house of his servant David

that we would be saved from our enemies

and from the hand of all who hate us.

 

Luke1:68-69, 71


  - Alison Goodwin 




Popular posts from this blog

December 1, 2021 - Advent Week 1

November 30, 2021 - Advent Week 1

December 20, 2021 - Advent Week 4