December 11, 2021 - Advent Week 2

“In the bleak midwinter” by Rebecca Merry


“‘The glory of this present house will be greater than the glory of the former house,’ says the Lord Almighty. ‘And in this place I will grant peace,’ declares the Lord Almighty.” Haggai 2:9

 

The prophet Haggai’s main ministry was to encourage people in the building of the second temple, to be strong in the Lord and assured that God would be with them.  Some, who had seen the ornate glory of Solomon’s temple wept when they saw how much smaller the foundations of the new temple were than those of the former.  They couldn’t help but compare the two and think about how small their efforts were in comparison to Solomon’s.  Making such comparisons was not beneficial to the people of Haggai’s time, nor can it ever be beneficial to us.  It might be tempting to dwell on the smallness of our own gifts but in truth, everything is small compared to the glory of God.  However, does this mean that our gifts are insignificant?  Absolutely not.  As we share our gifts we are doing our part in creating God’s kingdom on earth here and now – the “glory of the present house”.

 

A prayer written by the American pastor A. W. Tozer includes the words, “I only pray that I may use to Thy glory such modest gifts as I possess.  I will not compare myself with any, nor try to build up my self-esteem by noting where I may excel one or another in Thy holy work.”  This made me think of the final stanza of Christina Rosetti’s tender poem “In the Bleak Midwinter”,

 

What can I give Him, poor as I am?

If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;

If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;

Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

 

We live in a competitive world surrounded by temptations.  Often it is easy to submit but the effect is never fulfilling nor is it usually right.  Let’s remember that all God wants of us is our heart.  In this Advent season, may we give our hearts to God and in return, experience his peace.

 

- Joanne Collier

 

 

 


 

Popular posts from this blog

December 1, 2021 - Advent Week 1

December 3, 2021 - Advent Week 1

December 24, 2021 - Advent week 4